Define Your WHY: Chapter 9: WHY Align your Passions to What the World Needs?
In this chapter, there are several stories about projects that will make global competence and collaboration real. You will discover the power of connections and move from ME to WE as you explore the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). You can dig deeper by exploring how one or more of the targets with one of the SDGs can align with your beliefs to make a positive change globally and locally.
- Photo of Maslow with Blackfoot Nation in 1938
- Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs and Blackfoot Nation Beliefs
- Episode #41: Supporting and Mentoring Teachers with Dr. Ilene Winokur
- Why the UN and The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development
- The World’s Largest Lesson
- The Goals Project and TeachSDGs
- The Human Rights Guide to the Sustainable Development Goals
- Inspire Citizens #EmpathytoImpact
- Episode #103: Inspire Citizens Impact Change with Steve Sostak
- Episode #23: Inspiring Kids to Greatness with Darren Ellwein
- The Revolution by Darren Ellwein and Derek McCoy
- Episode #14: Global Collaboration Projects with JoAnn Jacobs
- Global Lessons and Projects
- How is there a difference between self-care and isolating yourself?
- What are the four domains of personal and collective well-being that Blackstock shared in her research?
- Review the image on Maslow’s Hierarchy Informed by the Blackfoot Nation. What do you see as the difference between the Western perspective versus the First Nations’ perspective?
- How did Dr. Ilene Winokur’s story on global connections help you build your PLN (Personal Learning Network)? How are you connecting globally?
- After reading Steve Sostak’s story, what do you think about building diverse relationships necessary to transform education and make our collective future more sustainable?
- Read JoAnn Jacobs’s story. Have you asked your students to look globally and how that can impact their future? Share the discussions.
- How can you align any of the UN SDGs and targets with what you teach or are doing now?
- Why is it important for all of us to be aware of global goals?