Define Your WHY Chapter 1: WHY Share Your Backstory?
All of us are impacted by experiences, people, and decisions that happened in our past. This chapter is about my backstory. I share how different events I experienced impacted who I am today and how your own backstory may have impacted you and others. The activities and questions in this chapter will guide you to build your backstory and an event chart that you can refer to later.
- Rethinking Learning website
- The Toolkit on Rethinking Learning
- Rethinking Learning Podcast
- Bray, B. & McClaskey, K. Make Learning Personal: The What, Who, Wow, Where, and Why. 2015.
- Bray, B. & McClaskey, K. How to Personalize Learning: A Practical Guide for Getting Started and Going Deeper. 2017.
- My eCoach https://my-ecoach.com
Start a journal to reflect on what my backstory means to you and then reflect on your backstory.
- What stood out about my backstory? Did anything I wrote seem similar to your experiences?
- What was it like when you were young?
- What was your family of origin like for you?
- Did you have siblings, and what was your order in your family?
- If you are an only child, what was your experience growing up?
- What events stand out that impacted who you are today?
- Create your event chart by brainstorming events in your journal or with post-it notes.
- Do you have a moment in your life you wish you could go back and relive?
- If you could go back and talk to someone from long ago, who would that be? What would you want to talk about?
- How do you think your backstory impacted you so you became who you are today?
- What pictures or photos can you share about yourself and your story?