Define Your WHY: Chapter 7: WHY Have Empathy for YOU?
In this chapter, there are stories around stress and how mindfulness strategies can help you breathe and relax, even if life is difficult for you. We are living in an uncertain world that impacts how we handle what we do and how we react to stress. We will discuss the fear of failure, stress vs. burnout, vulnerability, and empathy. Starting with empathy, you can use the design thinking process to identify an issue that is impacting you now and create strategies to help you address that issue.
- Empathy Video https://youtu.be/1Evwgu369Jw
- 10 Steps to Overcome the Impostor Syndrome
- Episode #79 Podcast: Leadership, Innovation, and Divergent Teaching with Mandy Froehlich
- Post on Human Doing vs Human Being
- 9 Attitudes of Mindfulness video https://youtu.be/2n7FOBFMvXg
- Episode #78 Podcast: Reclaiming Personalized Learning with Paul Emerich France
- Empathy: The Human Connection to Patient Care video: https://youtu.be/cDDWvj_q-o8
- IDEO’s Human-Centred Design Toolkit
- Episode #65 Podcast: Lead with Empathy, Design For Innovation with Winston Sakurai
- What is the difference between stress and burnout? Discuss the characteristics of the two.
- What fears do you have that you are working on to overcome?
- Read Mandy Froehlich’s story about Self-Care. Why is it important not to ignore your own needs?
- How can you lessen the day-to-day stress you feel and bring more clarity, calmness, and joy into your life?
- Read Paul Emerich France’s story on Being Vulnerable and Sharing Mistakes. How can making mistakes help you learn and improve what you do next?
- What are the three categories of empathy?
- Read Dr. Winston Sakurai’s story on Empathy in Solving Real-World Problems. How does empathy help students to solve real-world problems?
- How do you develop empathy for yourself instead of focusing on problems that keep you from moving forward?
- Why does design thinking start with empathy?