Define Your WHY Chapter 3: WHY Start with your WHY instead of your WHAT or HOW?
This chapter reviews Simon Sinek’s Golden Circle and why we need to start with our WHY. Most of us grew up being told what to do and how to learn. We learned to be compliant and didn’t ask WHY we were doing or learning something. Through different WHY stories and activities, you will be able to start with your WHY, determine if it is aligned with your WHAT, and create your draft WHY statement.
My draft WHY statement:
To share stories, strategies, and a process so that I can inspire others to tell their stories.
- Sinek, S. Start With Why. 2011
- Sinek, S. Find Your Why. 2017
- Michael Jr.’s video “Know Your Why” https://youtu.be/LZe5y2D60YU
- Rickabaugh, J. Tapping the Power of Personalized Learning. 2016
- Institute of Personalized Learning
- Episode #60 Podcast/Post: Start with Why and Stay with Why with Dr. Jim Rickabaugh
- How did you feel when you listened to the first version of his song in Michael Jr.’s video above? Then how did you feel in the second version of the song?
- Why do you think that only a few people know why they do what they do?
- What do you think about the sequence of WHY, WHAT, and HOW?
- After reading Dr. Rickabaugh’s story, why is purpose among the most powerful motivators of behavior? Why is it important to have clarity of purpose?
- What does my quote mean to you: “Instead of covering the curriculum why not uncover the learning?”
- Does your organization’s vision align with your WHY? If not, what can you do differently that is more aligned with your WHY?
- How are you learning through your WHAT? What do you do to bear almost any HOW?
- What feelings do you have when you think about your WHY?
- Did you write a draft WHY statement? What thoughts do you have about your WHY statement?