Define Your WHY: Chapter 8: Why Discover Your Passions and What You Love?
This chapter walks you through a process to focus on what you love, what makes your heart sing, and why it is helpful to be curious and embrace creativity and Flow. You will discover what drives wonder and why you need an attitude of gratitude. We will share stories about choosing joy and prioritizing your passions to balance your life.
- Steve Job’s commencement speech
- Find Your Element by Sir Ken Robinson
- Designed to Learn: Using design thinking to bring purpose and passion to the classroom.
by Dr. Lindsay Portnoy
- Episode #83: Lindsay Portnoy on Demystifying Learning
- Levels of Engagement with Flow post and graphics
- Gallup Study on Engagement
- Post with graphic on Levels of Engagement
- Episode #8 Framework for Maker Education with Dr. Jackie Gerstein
- Dr. Jackie Gerstein’s website
- Learning in the Making by Dr. Jackie Gerstein
- Mentally Fragile to Mentally STRONG video
- Episode #5:Running Because Kids Deserve It with Adam Welcome
- Run Like a Pirate by Adam Welcome
- What do you do when times are tough?
- In Dr. Lindsay Portnoy’s story, how does curiosity drive us to learn? Why is play critical in helping us learn about our world?
- How does the chart on Flow describe the balance between the challenge of the task and the skill of the learner?
- What do you do when you are in the Flow? How did you feel?
- How much does the system have to do with encouraging or stopping curiosity, creativity, and engagement? What can teachers do to empower learners to want to be more engaged in learning?
- Dr. Jackie Gerstein shares in her story about why she became a maker educator. What would you write to your younger self?
- Read Adam Welcome’s story about how is WHY changed. Are you not sure about your WHY or has your WHY changed?
- What makes your heart sing? Can you do more of that?