Define Your WHY Chapter Four
Chapter 4: Why Go with your Strengths, Skills, and Dispositions?
This chapter addresses how you find the strengths beyond your talents to identify your current skills and dispositions, your skills gap, and what you may need for your future. We will discuss the future of work and the Industrial Revolutions, what that means about job loss, and the importance of up-skilling. We will address your mindset, aspirations, and any self-doubts you may have.
- StrengthsFinder Test
- Gallup Strengths Center Four Domains
- High 5 Test
- Build Your Future article
- Future of Skills article
- World Economic Forum
- Rachelle Dené Poth’s Blog and Website
- Episode #70: Taking Risks and Learning from Students Taking the Lead with Rachelle Dené Poth
- Knowledge is Power: Skilling Students for the Future
- Gallop Student Poll
- Episode #81: Providing a S.P.I.R.I.T.E.D. Environment Where Students Thrive With Dan Jackson
- ASAP Website by Dan Jackson
- Growth and Fixed Mindset
- “Lost Generation” (2 minutes) https://youtu.be/42E2fAWM6rA
- Lois Letchford’s website
- Ulcca Joshi Hansen TedTalk
- How do you create opportunities to do what you do best every day even if it is difficult?
- What are your top five strengths? How are you using or not using these strengths?
- What jobs do you believe will be lost and by when? What new jobs do you think will take their place?
- After reading Rachelle Dene Poth’s story, how can you prepare students for the future?
- Why do we need to continue to learn new skills throughout our lives? What skills will you want to develop?
- If you are a teacher, are you teaching these skills as part of your lessons or projects? If not, how can you include activities that build these skills?
- Have you ever changed from a fixed mindset to a growth mindset? What happened?
- After reading Dan Jackson’s story, how can we prepare students for a lifelong love of learning after High School?
- How did Lois Letchford’s story help you understand that tapping into curiosity can lead to a love of learning?