Since I am being asked to recommend apps for schools and districts, I thought it would be a good idea to put together some reviews of interesting apps. I also am finding that some apps are free for a short time. Here’s a fun app: Dr. Seuss Band that is free just for one day: Today at Oceanhouse Media
Anyone any age will love this. You can build your own wacky Dr. Seuss-like instrument and then play it by pressing the appropriate buttons. This is the Dr. Seuss equivalent of the Rock Band/Guitar Hero games combining hand-eye coordination with musical fun and it works very well, although it might be tough for younger kids.
There are in-app purchases with Dr. Seuss songs. Get this app today and then see if you want to purchase anymore apps. I’m thinking that they can all be unlocked just by completing certain accomplishments in the app.
Experience the excitement as Dr. Seuss Band transforms your device into a vibrant, energetic musical instrument that all ages will enjoy! Jam along with playful Seussian melodies or create your own whimsical masterpiece. As you play, you’ll unlock new instruments, silly effects and catchy songs. Contains over 120 combinations of sounds, so you’ll always have something new to discover!
- 2 Ways to Play – Go for high scores in the Music Game or use Free Play to compose your own tunes.
- 10 Original Songs – Play along with the soundtrack from The Cat in the Hat, Green Eggs and Ham, Dr. Seuss’s ABCs, Hop on Pop and more!
- 5 Unique Horn Instruments – Play Seussian versions of the Trumpet, French Horn, Clarinet, Trombone and Flute.
- 10 Crazy Horn Effects – Customize the sound of your horn by adding fun effects like a Fish Bowl, Train Whistle, Reverb and more!
- Mix and Match Horns – Swap parts of the horn while playing to create over 120 Horn Combinations!
- 3 Difficulty Levels – Choose Easy for beginners, Medium for experienced players and Hard for experts.
- 26 Unlockables – Achieve high scores to unlock Songs, Horns and Effects.
- Gamecenter Leaderboards – Compare your high scores with the competition.
- Beautiful 3D artwork inspired by Dr. Seuss
- Whimsical music and sound effects
- Suitable for all ages
Some of the criteria I use for reviewing apps:
- age levels
- age appropriateness
- skill and reading levels
- skills attained
- independent learning
- content or standards met
My Dr. Seuss Band review:
- children of all ages who love Dr. Seuss
- visually intuitive
- increases music abilities
- encourages independent learning and collaborative play
- meets NETS for students on creativity, collaboration, and independent exploration
I encourage you to try this and download it today. If you get it for free, you own it forever. How cool is that? Get it here: Oceanhouse Media